The family

The family

Melanie

Melanie

Tommy

Tommy

Justin

Justin

Dasha

Dasha

Monday, November 17, 2008

The countdown is on!!!

Well, the countdown is on, but only to the BYU game. Things here have been quite busy, which helps the time pass. I can barely remember the last time I wrote, which might be because I’m lazy, but also because I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. To start off with, Nisar (one of our interpreters) and I went to OE for 4 days to refit. We got our laundry done, gathered our winter gear, cleaned, etc. We also ate lots of local dishes (Nisar has many friends at OE, and they hooked us up with some authentic food.) I will try and post some pictures, but the internet is busy 24/7 right now, because we have more than 10 times the normal number of soldiers here at Zerok right now. After we returned to Zerok, Amin went back to OE for his 2-4 day refit. However, the day after he left we got word we were going to on a dismounted mission to the Afghanistan mountains the next day. Fortunately, Joe got back from leave, and he and Amin flew back to Zerok. We had our full team for a few days, however, Joe, SSG Demarco, and I were on sleeping out in the freezing, bitter, windy, winter cold during most of that time. Scott stayed back here with Nisar so that we had someone working while our element was moving. The hike up was extremely difficult, but not as bad as last time. Part of the reason for that is that we took a better route, and part was that it wasn’t 95 degrees, and we only carried 2 days worth of food and water. While we were there the days were pleasant (at least I thought they were pleasant, although some people thought the days were cold). The nights on the other hand, were unbearable! It was so cold that it was impossible to get a good night’s sleep. The packing list we were given suggested taking the light sleeping bag, a wind jacket and a sweater. I took the heavy sleeping bag, and was very glad I did. We had several guys have to leave due to cold weather injuries (frostbite, trenchfoot, altitude sickness, etc). Bottom line, it was cold! The scariest part of all was the hike down. For some reason, the people we were walking with decided to take the long way back. We finally got to an outcropping where there was nowhere to go but straight down (literally). We had to slide down one at a time, so that the falling rocks wouldn’t hit anyone below. Somehow, we all made it down safely, although it’s not a climb I would try again without some rope. After we got back we enjoyed a nice hot steak dinner, and we got to sleep in our warm beds. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, we’re going to get at least a few more winter camp outs, it’s just a matter of when they happen. Fun stuff. Then, yesterday we took a team picture with all of our current team (no offense intended to Jones, Little, or Presnell). Of course, after the picture SSG D got on a bird to go on leave.
The biggest news of all is that THE BYU game is this week. After the Cougars win, it sets up nicely for BYU to get a BCS birth, especially if Boise State loses at Nevada next week. I even bought a BYU sweater in OE (they have a shop that sells sports memorabilia) to wear during the game.
I’ve been taking lots of pictures, although my camera might be broken. It got hit by a dust storm from a helicopter yesterday, and it isn’t working very well. I have a canister of pressurized air for electronics, and I’m hoping that it will get it working again. We’ll see.
Among the really good news is that I’ve gotten a ton of mail recently. Lots of packages have been arriving, which is fun. Thanks to Becky, Heather, Dad, Deeanna, Amazon.com and some lady who is a friend of a friend who decided to put together some care packages for soldiers. It’s been nice. That being said, with time winding down and Christmas slowing down the mail, it’s probably best to slow down with the packages.

3 comments:

Deeanna said...

Thank goodness you post info on your blog, otherwise I would never feel like I get the whole story!! You amaze me with your adventures. I really really hope you don't have to go out and sleep in the mountains anymore, but that's not likely going to become reality. Good luck!!! And be safe! I love you!

Heather said...

Sounds pretty rough & crazy. I should have sent you some hand warmers or something.

Dennis said...

Tom--I do think BYU will beat Utah tomorrow, but there is no way that Boise State is going to lose to Fresno State. So I'm afraid it's still bye bye BCS. Will you get to watch the game live? Sounds like you had a rough week last week on the mountain. Keep your head down.
Dennis