The family

The family

Melanie

Melanie

Tommy

Tommy

Justin

Justin

Dasha

Dasha

Friday, September 12, 2008

Ramadan and other news

Well, it's been a boring week, as I've been mostly just sitting around here at Salerno. I should be leaving soon. I've read 3 books, including Strike Force, which my dad gave me before I left (thanks dad). Other than that, I've done almost nothing. Of note is that it is currently Ramadan, the month when Muslims fast from sunrise until sunset. Some of the interpreters here at Salerno invited us (SSG Johnson and my interpreter) to break their fast with them a few nights ago. We had some delicious food, which included rice, beans, stew like soup, Afghan flat bread, Afghan cinnamon bread, and, of course, some green tea. It was a nice cultural experience, although SSG Johnson found the food to be way too spicy. Now I'm packed up and ready to head to Orgun-e, although we've been waiting all week, so hopefully it happens soon. I did send some letters to Melanie, Tommy, Justin, and Dasha, so they should be getting some mail in a couple weeks. I've heard from the people who have access to mail that it takes 10-14 days to get home. At Zerok we didn't have a chance to send any mail, and now, because of the newly enforced mail polilcy, we probably won't get mail anymore. (We used to get mail whenever someone went on leave and came back, but now, in order to deliver mail, you have to attend a "Mail Handler's Course", so we won't get mail unless one of the few people in our company decides to hand deliver it to us...I'm not holding my breath) I can still count the number of times I've received mail on 1 hand...although each time I've received several items, so thanks to everyone for the things they've sent. It's hard to believe how time moves. I've been back from leave almost a month! 1o more days until dad's birthday, then mine in October, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Tommy's birthday and then home a couple week's after Valentine's...not that I'm counting days yet (months and major events, maybe, but not days).

2 comments:

raising4boys said...

I would be counting down major events as well. (Just like during pregnancy ;))

The taste of culture sounds fun!

Deeanna said...

I didn't know the mail system was so complicated. Thank goodness for phones and computers! Its so great to see new pictures! Thanks for sharing!!!