The family

The family

Melanie

Melanie

Tommy

Tommy

Justin

Justin

Dasha

Dasha

Monday, June 23, 2008

Cultural dinner and Deeanna's new job

Well, I was just coming off my shift (around2:30 in the morning, here) and I thought I’d post a quick update to what has been a very boring few days, but then I was too tired, so I saved it without posting. Not much has been going on around here since the BN mission ended. One of the convoys that left here was ambushed; however, all the people in the convoy are fine. Only a few minor cuts, but nothing serious. We were able to support them from here, though. We were able to take out quite a few of the guys that did the ambush. I’m lucky enough that when I leave I get to fly on a helicopter, so chances of an ambush are close to zero. Other than that we’re just kind of waiting. Rumor has it we will be going back to FOB Tillman for a few days off, but other than that, we’re just hanging out doing our job and trying to fill up the rest of the day with just about anything! I finished another book yesterday, called “The Subtle Knife”. It was interesting. I’ll wait to pass judgment on it until I finish the third book (It’s part of the Golden Compass series). The most exciting thing that has happened around here was dinner with the interpreters. They got the ANA (Afghan National Army) to go to a local market and buy some food. They then cooked us some Afghan flatbread and some eggs with onion, garlic and spices that you dip the bread into. One thing I learned about Afghan culture is that they like to eat together, and no one leaves until everyone is done. They are also big into sharing a communal dish. Anyways, it was really good, although I don’t know what kind of food safety procedures were followed…If I get really sick, I’ll let you know! I took a picture and will post that, too.
For some more good news, I talked with Deeanna about her job interview, and it looks like she is going to be working part time next year as a Russian teacher at a local high school. She is quite excited, for obvious reasons. She is hoping that I’ll help organize a trip to Russia for her students, I think!
I’ll end with that, and hope that my ranting managed to keep you awake.

4 comments:

Ryan Tyson said...

Tom-

I finally got on your blog. It is really cool to be able to stay updated on all you are doing through this blog. The pictures are great too. I'll try to send you an e-mail soon.

Bishop Tyson

Lombardo Family said...

Tom,
Deeanna gave me your blog address and as I checked it out I was enthralled by all of the pictures and goings on there. It is fascinating to me to keep up to date. It really is better than the news. Keep it up. On a separate note, and I am not really sure if you are out of my “stewardship” or not, so I will treat as if you are not. I would like to give you a periodic update on our Elders Quorum lessons. If this sits fine with you and you could give me your e-mail address, I will send it there so you can study it as we did. Savvy? Take care Brother Price, keep up the blog and keep us posted, we’ll hold the perimeters on our end. :-)

Aaron Lombardo

Thomas said...

Well, it is good to hear from both of you. Bro. Lombardo, my email address is thomasprice@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Flat bread sounds dry and I can't imagine you getting any more sick than some of the stuff we ate in Moscow from street vendors. You blog posts are far from boring and I look forward to them. Deeanna - congrats on the teaching job. You'll do great.

All the best,

Ben