The family

The family

Melanie

Melanie

Tommy

Tommy

Justin

Justin

Dasha

Dasha

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Out of the mountains, but only for a day or two

Hello everyone! Life is going well. I headed up into the mountains with a platoon of infantry scouts last Friday. We hiked about 6km , the first 2 were down hill slightly, and the last 4 went up about 4500 feet. It was a lot of fun, but it was also the most strenuous thing I have ever done! I still can't believe I made it. I had over 105lbs on my back, which is an insane amount of weight for someone my size (6 foot 150). After we got to the top I heard several of the scouts, who do this sort of thing for a living that this was the worst ever! We set up our base in the tops of the mountains and went to work, which basically entailed sitting around observing what was going on around us in the surrounding landscape. One of the highlights was when the ENTIRE platoon ran out of water on the 3rd night, and we had to go for 15 hours without a drop! They finally flew us in some water the next afternoon, and we all survived. Early this morning we got a call on the radio to pack it up and come on back. This of course got our hopes up that the mission was done, but, alas, it wasn't meant to be! We are going to be going back out to a different position for several more days in the near future. (I couldn't say when even if I knew, but I don't so it's a moot point). Of course, if they don't find some more batteries for our system, there would be no point in sending us, but something tells me they will manage to find battaries. Life here is really good. My legs are sore, bruised and I've only gotten about 15 hours of sleep since Friday, hey, why join the military if you don't want to have all the fun that goes with it! On that note, I am going to go take a long nap, because I am very tired. Since we got back I have been force hydrating myself. I've had 4 1/2 liters of gatorade, so I think I'm getting there.

No comments: